Keith R.A. DeCandido is a long time writer of science-fiction and fantasy who has written many tie-in novels for TV shows such as Supernatural and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Keith’s ties to the Space Western sub-genre include the novelization of Joss Whedon’s movie Serenity and media tie-in novels for Star Trek, and StarCraft: Ghost.
You can discover even more about Keith R.A. DeCandido and his work at www.decandido.net.
[ download ] (.mp3 11MB)
- (0:00) Introduction by N.E. Lilly
- (0:42) How did you get into writing?
- (1:36) Was Firefly/Serenity your first introduction to space westerns?
- (2:04) What are your three favorite episodes of Firefly?
- (3:33) After the cancellation, did you get involved with the various Browncoat movements?
- (4:42) How did you get the Serenity novelization?
- (5:36) What was it like writing a Space Western?
- (6:29) You’ve mentioned in other interviews that Jayne was the easiest and favorite of the major Serenity characters to write for... can you tell me why?
- (7:50) Any new developments with the two original Serenity books that were due to be put out by Pocket Books?
- (9:34) Can you let me in on any exclusive information, unknown insights, or trade secrets?
- (9:43) If you could ask Joss Whedon any three questions, what would they be?
- (11:14) What can we expect to see from you in the near future?
N.E. Lilly is the editor of SpaceWesterns.com. When he isn’t reading submissions or indulging his love of the Space Western sub-genre, he’s developing websites for Science Fiction professionals and organizations through GreenTentacles.
Keith R.A. DeCandido has written several billion novels, short stories, eBooks, essays, and comic books in a huge variety of media universes, as well as editing anthologies, playing percussion, and generally making trouble.