Mark L. Van Name was gracious enough to set aside some time for an interview with SpaceWesterns.com after giving a reading of his new novel while at Balticon 41. — ed. N.E. Lilly
Mark L. Van Name is a science fiction and technology-industry writer who has published over a thousand computer-related articles and multiple science fiction stories. His stories have been included in multiple anthologies, including Year’s Best Science Fiction. His first novel, One Jump Ahead was made available in June 2007 and features an almost-classic Western duo: Jon Moore, a nanotech-enhanced solider-of-fortune, and Battlewagon Lobo, an A.I.-equipped intelligence and weapons platform of enormous destructive potential.
You can discover even more about Mark L. Van Name and his work at www.marklvanname.com.
- [00:00] Introduction by N.E. Lilly
- [00:51] How did you get into writing Science Fiction?
- [01:12] What was your first introduction to Space Western?
- [01:30] How would you define a Space Western?
- [02:30] What would you say the attraction to Space Westerns is?
- [03:18] The Other day you gave a reading for One Jump Ahead, which will appear on the Balticon Podcast, In One Jump Ahead were there any Space Western themes that came out in that?
- [04:51] What was the inspiration for writing One Jump Ahead?
- [06:01] Can you let me in on any exclusive information, unknown insights, or trade secrets?
- [06:50] What are your current projects?
Books & Stories by Mark L. Van Name
Other works by N.E. Lilly
- Interview with Phil Foglio (Nov 8, 2009)
- 10 Most Influential Space Westerns (Oct 25, 2009)
- Space Western Most Wanted (Jan 25, 2009)
- Interview with John G. Cawelti (Dec 7, 2008)
- Interview with Beth Nelson, 2008 Browncoat Ball Chair (Sep 21, 2008)
- more by N.E. Lilly
- Space Western SenryÅ« Contest Winners by N.E. Lilly (Aug 6, 2008)