If you spend any amount of time reading or writing Science Fiction, one of the names you’ll come to know is David G. Hartwell, editor of The New York Review of Science Fiction and senior editor at Tor/Forge Books. Mr. Hartwell was kind enough to give us an interview on the topic of Space Westerns, at Balticon 41. — ed. N.E. Lilly
Interview with David G. Hartwell
David G. Hartwell is a science fiction publishing paragon—having worked as an editor for Signet, Berkley Putnam, and Pocket (where he founded the Timescape imprint and created the Pocket Books Star Trek publishing line). He currently is a senior editor at Tor/Forge Books and editor of The New York Review of Science Fiction. In addition, he is the author of Age of Wonders, and the editor of many anthologies, including The Science Fiction Century, Year’s Best SF, The Space Opera Renaissance, and The World Treasury of Science Fiction. He has won the Eaton Award, the World Fantasy Award, as well as being nominated for the Hugo Award thirty-one times to date – winning it once, for Best Editor in 2006.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (1.9MB)
- [00:00] Introduction by N.E. Lilly
- [00:49] How did you get into Science Fiction?
- [01:05] How would you define Space Westerns?
- [01:32] How would you say a Space Western is different from Space Opera?
- [02:00] In terms of the redfinition of Space Opera that occured in the 1970’s, going from the old Space Opera where it was essentially pulp or trash,to the new Space Opera where people were actually writing Space Opera to be Space Opera,where do you think Space Westerns fit into that?
- [03:48] Why do you think people still write the occasional Space Western?
- [04:13] What are your current projects?
- [04:34] What can we expect to see from you in the near future?
Books Edited by David G. Hartwell
Other works by N.E. Lilly
- Is Firefly “Out of Gas”? (Dec 12, 2022)
- The Emancipation of Bat Durston, or, “I’m from Iowa, I only work in Outer-space” (Dec 5, 2022)
- Interview with Phil Foglio (Nov 8, 2009)
- 10 Most Influential Space Westerns (Oct 25, 2009)
- Space Western Most Wanted (Jan 25, 2009)
- more by N.E. Lilly
- Interview with John G. Cawelti by N.E. Lilly (Dec 7, 2008)
- Interview with Russell Davis by N.E. Lilly (May 4, 2008)
I Love Serenity
Men’s Basic T-Shirt that says “I Love Serenity” in Chinese.
Available from the Space Westerns Magazine Store on Zazzle →
You are not logged in. Log-in to leave a comment.