In July of 2006 I was lucky enough to have been invited by Sky Conway to the set of Star Trek: Of Gods and Men during shooting at the New Voyages studio in New York state. The result of my visit is this brief photo essay. — ed, N.E. Lilly
Behind the Scenes of Star Trek: Of Gods and Men
published: January 20th, 20085 minute read
I drove all night from Eastern Pennsylvania to Upstate New York (on the border of Vermont), but the 7 hour drive was worth it.
The sets were built and maintained by James Cawley and the New Voyages crew. The production was directed by Tim Russ, and features professional actors the caliber of Walter Koenig, Nichelle Nichols, Alan Ruck, Gary Graham, and, Garrett Wang, among others familiar faces of the Trek franchise. Producer Sky Douglas Conway and Deep Space Nine freelance storywriters Jack Trevino and Ethan H. Calk wrote the story. Douglas Knapp was Director of photography. In addition, many artists in the field of makeup and lighting joined them.
It was a phenomenal and life-changing two days. I feel lucky to have been included, if only as an observer, and to have been able to see the production progress from shooting to release. It was amazing to see what a group of dedicated people who share a common goal, and love of Star Trek, can accomplish.
I’d like to thank producer Sky Conway for inviting me to the shooting and Jason Cawley for playing host. I’d especially like to thank the crew of New Voyages who put in all the hard work of building and maintaining the sets.
For more information on Star Trek: Of Gods and Men visit the web site: www.startrekofgodsandmen.com.
Other works by N.E. Lilly
- Interview with Phil Foglio (Nov 8, 2009)
- 10 Most Influential Space Westerns (Oct 25, 2009)
- Space Western Most Wanted (Jan 25, 2009)
- Interview with John G. Cawelti (Dec 7, 2008)
- Interview with Beth Nelson, 2008 Browncoat Ball Chair (Sep 21, 2008)
- more by N.E. Lilly
- 10 Most Influential Space Westerns by N.E. Lilly (Oct 25, 2009)
- Space Western Most Wanted by N.E. Lilly (Jan 25, 2009)
- Interview with “Mojo” by N.E. Lilly (Jul 13, 2008)
- Interview with David Weddle by N.E. Lilly (Apr 20, 2008)
- Space Western Holiday Specials by N.E. Lilly (Dec 16, 2007)
- Interview with Jane Espenson by N.E. Lilly (Dec 9, 2007)